Thursday, October 6, 2011

Rain and Apple Crisp

     Tonight was rainy and windy-- the perfect weather for a cozy night in. For the past week I've had quite the appetite for apple crisp (plus a desire to experiment in the kitchen), so I decided that tonight was the perfect night to see if I could come up with some kind of delicious concoction given the random supplies in Moore Haus available to the students (without stealing someone else's food).

          Here is my (completely unofficial and unmeasured) recipe (I was definitely winging it...):
I promise it looks tastier in person...
     I sliced up some apples that they give us every morning for breakfast, laid them in a pan, and covered them with apple juice, cinnamon, and a bit of sugar.

     For the topping, I combined sugar, cinnamon, and "Schoko Musli" (kind of like dry oatmeal, plus chocolate), and some butter. I cut in the butter to create a crumble topping, popped it in the oven for about 30 minutes, and there you have it. Apple crisp is, thankfully, pretty simple.

     However, I wasn't going to be satisfied with the crisp alone. I went out on a ledge completely and decided to make up some kind of sauce to put over it. After stirring together and heating up some plain yogurt, honey, cinnamon, and sugar, I found that the sauce tasted good but was a bit problematic, as the yogurt made it kind of lumpy. Thankfully, at this point my friend Bri, a fellow baker, came into the kitchen and had the brilliant idea of straining the sauce. Once that was done, the sauce was rather liquidy but certainly scores better than before.

     The final assessment? Not too bad! It wasn't quite as crispy as I wanted (maybe too much butter or apple juice?), but I still really liked the flavor. And though the sauce worried me at first, I actually think it really takes the crisp to the next level of tastiness. I still think that the crisp could have used some brown sugar, but given that I made this without a trip to the grocery store and completely without a recipe, I'd consider it a success. I think I learned a lot about what to do differently next time to make it perfect :)

     And, if any Heidelbergers happen to be reading this... there's apple crisp in the kitchen!! Come and eat it!

No comments:

Post a Comment