Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Dressing for the Faire

I think I've finally come to accept the fact that I'm not living in Europe anymore. Well, maybe.

But since I can no longer traipse the same streets that people have been walking down for hundreds of years, I figured I'd do the next best thing, something I've always kind of wanted to do but never got around to doing: go to the Renaissance Faire!

I'm going to rally some friends, lend out some costumes, and of course, make a costume of my own-- any excuse to make a new historical costume is a good one.

So for the past few days I've been gathering supplies, although no exact date for this visit has yet been set (it will be soon enough, plus I need time to make my costume!).

I'm using a fairly simple pattern (at least from what I can tell), so hopefully it won't take too long/be too hard. Then again, anything should be easier than an 18th century gown, and we've been down that road before.

This is the lovely fabric for the bodice/vest/corset thingy (technical term, by the way)

Fabric for the two skirts. The pink will be the under skirt, and the blue will be the drape-y overskirt.

All the pretty fabrics! :)

So anyway, I'm pretty excited about this new project and even more excited about going to the Faire with friends sometime soonish! Excessive fabric, turkey legs, weird people, and abridged performances of Shakespeare, here I come!

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you're continuing to blog after getting back from Germany, Kelly! And about clothes, too! I'm so jealous of your seamstress talents.

    The brocade is very very pretty, I can't wait to see what the finished product looks like!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Rachel!
    I'm glad I'm continuing the blog too. I considered stopping, but this is just too much fun :)
    And thank you!! It should be fun to sew, but of course the most fun part is wearing the finished product!

    ReplyDelete